How to Refill a Dab Pen Cartridge
For reloading your dab pen cartridge, you will need:
- Your preferred concentrate (usually wax, shatter or butter).
- Solvent, which can be PEG (polyethylene glycol), PG (propylene glycol) VG (vegetable glycerin), or MCT (medium-chain triglycerides).
- A syringe with a flat needle.
- Small silicone or glass container to mix your concentrate and solvent.
- Hair dryer
The O.pen Vape FIY Kit
How to refill a dab pen cartridge
- Determine the size of your cartridge. Some cartridges have 0.3ml, 0.5ml, and 1ml capacity. These may seem small, but a little goes a long way with vaping concentrates.
- Remove the cartridge from the vape pen and remove the mouthpiece. Place the cartridge on a holding tool and set it aside. If you don’t have a holding device, place it on a small dish to prevent it from rolling over the table.
- Measure equal amounts of concentrate and solvent based on the capacity. If you have a 1-ml cartridge, you should have 0.5g of concentrate + 0.5g of solvent.
- Mix the concentrate and solvent in your silicone or glass container until it comes together. Mix until you get a vicious, homogenous mixture free of lumps.
- Use the blunt-needle syringe to aspirate the mixture.
- Hold the cartridge and press the plunger carefully and slowly. Take your time and make sure that the liquid goes down the base. If not, stop filling before the solution reaches the rim. Use a hair dryer at the lowest setting placed at a distance to carefully warm the solution. Sweep the dryer until the liquid gradually melts and settles at the bottom. Continue filling until the cartridge is 80% full.
- Screw the mouthpiece on the cartridge and wipe with a moist cloth to remove any sticky solution from the surface. Inspect the base to ensure that it’s dry and does not have any leaks or drops.
- Attach the cartridge to your dab pen until it locks. Don’t torque tightly or you will risk damaging the connection.
- Use your dab pen and enjoy.
Tips to consider
- Know the solvent you’re using. Each solvent has different effects on the viscosity and taste of your e-liquid.
- Always practice neat and tidy filling. Avoid getting a solvent on the thread of the cartridge as it can interfere with the connection and potentially damage your dab pen.
- If you’re having a hard time with a syringe, you can use a glass medicine dropper. Prepare the liquid inside a glass medicine bottle, screw the cap on, and submerge it inside a cup of hot water. Let it sit for a couple of minutes and shake. Use the medicine dropper to fill up the cartridge. This is easier, but there’s more wastage since you cannot aspirate all the prepared dab liquid inside the bottle with the medicine dropper.
- Don’t rush the process. Mix your concentrate and solvent thoroughly and don’t leave large particles. Your dab pen cartridge will function better if your e-liquid is uniformly mixed.
- You can only do this process for refillable cartridges. Most pre-filled cartridges are disposable, and disassembly will cause leaks.
It’s easy to use a dab pen with a cartridge, and the effects are enjoyable. It may take some practice to know how to refill a dab pen cartridge, but all that effort is worth it. If you don’t have time or know-how on what tools to use for turning your concentrates into e-liquids, get an O.pen Vape FIY Kit now. It comes with a container, mixing tool, and a filling tool that can help you prepare and mix your own e-liquid.
How do you prevent spillage on your dab pen cartridge? Do you have any tips to share to make filling it more efficient? Please share your tips and techniques in our comment section!